We're going to be restoring the brick foundation at the Graham Memorial Presbyterian Church located at 975 C Street in Coronado.
The church was built in 1890. This project will include Tuckpointing the mortar joints, and replacing missing or damaged bricks. We found some extra original bricks under the church that we can salvage. The bricks used for the foundation of the church were made by the Coronado Brick Company. You can read about the history of the church Here
This is the current condition of the brick and mortar joints that we'll be repairing. Not only has the lime mortar basically deteriorated to sand or fallen out, but previously there have been shoddy repairs done. Someone before us had used a "Type-S" mortar which can actually cause more damage in the long run. We'll be removing the lime mortar and the previous repairs done to the joints 1 1/2" deep and replacing it with the proper lime mortar.
We've started preparing the mortar joints for restoration. Using the proper tools, we are able to remove the old mortar joints to the proper depth prior to Tuckpointing. Through time, the mortar joints have basically turned to sand. Unfortunately, most buildings in San Diego built with brick prior to 1930, have seen little, if any, necessary maintenance or repair.
We have applied a spray on cement dissolver to remove the staining where the unsightly repairs had been done previously. The mortar they had used is grey and they left staining on the face of the bricks. The dissolver will only effect the cement in the mortar without damaging the bricks. Unfortunately, due to the softness of the bricks, we'll be able to remove most of the grey staining, but not all.
We've begun filling the cleaned joints with new mortar. We are using a "Historical Mix" made specifically for use on Historical, brick buildings. It has a lower P.S.I. compression rate than regular mortar and will not cause spalling in the bricks. Also. the color we have chosen to use matches the original Lime mortar perfectly! We the experience and have done a lot of research for the assurance that what we do is being done correctly.
After filling the joints with mortar, we have struck the joints. This compresses the mortar and helps fill any voids to assure the joint is solid. In this image the joints are struck, but not yet brushed. When done, the finished result has a antiqued look without being as messy as when originally done.
Here, we are finishing up the mortar joints on this panel. The struck finish that we are using isn't exact to how it looked originally. It's struck and brushed with a little "antiqued" look to it. Without actually laying the brick, it's almost impossible to replicate what it looked like in 1890. We feel that this is a good compromise with a beautiful end result.
We've wrapped up this Tuckpointing project. We restored the entire brick foundation of the church. We applied the Miracle Seal, 511 Porous Plus Sealer once the mortar dried. The church has some extra work for us to do. They want us to remove the old brick on the front stairs and entrance, and replace them with new bricks.